Poaching an egg doesn't have to be left to the professionals.
With the right ingredients and the right touch, you can whip up a perfectly-poached egg in your own kitchen.
Chef Ryan Scott, host of “Food Rush” on the Live Well Network, says all you need is a pot of hot water, a bit of vinegar and a whisk.
His step-by-step instructions are:
- First, heat a pot of water until it's just below boiling (between 180 and 200 degrees). You should be able to see steam rising off the water.
- Next, crack your eggs into a bowl.
- Add a bit of white wine vinegar to the pot of water and to the egg bowl.
- Using a whisk, create a "whirlpool effect" in the water.
- Slowly lower the eggs into the water and continue moving the whisk in the whirlpool motion to "pull the egg whites together."
Check out Chef Scott's expert technique in the video above.