70-Calorie French Onion Soup
Eight 1 and 1/2 cup Servings (Makes 12 cups total)
- 2 large yellow onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 packets Stevia or 1 tablespoon sugar substitute of choice
- 8 cups (two 32-ounce containers) organic beef broth
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 slices ultra thin swiss cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or Worcestershire Sauce
- Pinch salt and pepper (to taste)
- Spray a large pan with nonstick cooking spray. Add onions and 1 cup beef broth and garlic powder. Saute onions until broth is completely evaporated, and onions begin to caramelize.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, including Parmesan cheese, to the slow cooker and add onions. Turn slow cooker on high for 4 hours, or on low for 8 hours, or overnight.
- When ready to serve, ladle soup into an oven (or microwave safe) bowl, and add a piece of Swiss cheese on top. Place in oven preheated to low broil to melt the cheese. Leave in oven for 1-3 minutes, or until cheese is lightly golden brown. Alternatively, you could microwave the soup for 1-3 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.