Beer Battered Onion Rings
Appetizer, Side Dish
- 2 large Vidalia (or other sweet) onions, sliced thick and rings separated
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup beer (Angie uses Blue Moon Agave Blonde Ale)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Preheat vegetable oil for frying to 375 degrees F.
- Place the sliced onion rings in a bowl with 1/2 cup of the self-rising flour. Toss until evenly coated.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining cup of self-rising flour with smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and black pepper. Whisk to combine. Stir in beer and mix well.
- Batter each onion ring individually, and drop into the preheated oil. Fry rings in batches, for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, flipping once during the cooking process. When golden brown, transfer the rings to a cooking rack or drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce.