By FOX News Magazine, December 27, 2012
Simple Comfort Food
Beer Mac and Cheese Recipe
- 24 ounces beer of your choice (Dax prefers New Glarus Spotted Cow)
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 pound elbow macaroni
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (Dax prefers Nueske’s)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup half and half, or 2 percent milk
- 6 ounces IPA, or your favorite beer
- Cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 cups grated white cheddar cheese
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt (for pasta water)
- Bring 24 ounces of beer and water to a boil. Season with salt. Add the pasta and cook until almost al dente, but not quite. Drain.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet until crisp, then set aside. Crumble the bacon when cool..
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Bring a large pan to medium heat, then melt the butter until it bubbles. Add the flour and stir, using a wooden spoon, until it reaches a golden color.
- Slowly add the half and half to the pan. Continue stirring until all of the lumps are out. Add six ounces of beer and continue stirring until smooth.
- Stir in black pepper and mustard powder. Next, add the cheeses a little at a time, and continue stirring until creamy.
- Add the cooked pasta and crumbled bacon to the pan. Stir to combine with the cheese sauce.
- If using a cast iron pan, place in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. If not, grease a casserole dish with cooking spray or butter. Transfer the contents of the pan to the dish, then place in the oven for 30 minutes. (Both cooking vessels should remain uncovered.)
- Remove from oven. Portion onto serving plates and enjoy.