Apple Pie Cupcakes
These little apple pie cupcakes brought to us by Adam and Joanne Gallagher from Inspired Taste are innovative, fun and easy.
The base is made from store-bought cinnamon rolls and the inside is filled with apples cooked in butter, lemon and cinnamon. Then, each cupcake is topped with buttery and sweet streusel. Sound good?
It's not just the taste that's delicious — they'll leave your house smelling of sweet apple pie. You'll be eating them for breakfast, dessert and every meal in between.
Follow us on Pinterest for more great recipes and cooking tips.
Apple Pie Cupcakes
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Juice of half of a lemon (about 1 1/2 tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 can (12.4 ounces) Pillsbury refrigerated cinnamon rolls
- Whipped cream
- Caramel-flavored syrup
- Heat oven to 400 F. Lightly spray 8 regular-size muffin cups with cooking spray.
- In 10-inch skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add apples. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar as well as the cinnamon and salt. Cook 5 minutes longer or until tender. Stir in lemon juice.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix butter, flour, walnuts and 1/4 cup of brown sugar with fork or hands until crumbly. Set aside.
- Separate dough into 8 rolls. Flatten each into 4-inch rounds; place into muffin cups. Divide apple filling evenly into rolls then sprinkle the streusal on top.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until bubbly and tops are lightly browned. Cool slightly before removing from muffin cups, then cool completely, about 30 minutes. Serve cupcakes topped with whipped cream and a drizzle of syrup.