Breakfast in bed has never been this sweet.
With Valentine’s Day approaching, some may be on the hunt for the perfect way to wow their significant other. While a bouquet of roses or a box of chocolates are safe choices, consider spoiling them with luscious, homemade French toast that resembles a massive sandwich made for two.
Make any morning extra-special by surprising your partner with chef David Venable’s eye-popping strawberry cream cheese-stuffed French toast. Just as its name implies, thick slices of challah hold together strawberry-infused cream cheese. The whole thing is drizzled with strawbery sauce.
“This recipe is great for a romantic breakfast in bed because it takes a traditional morning meal, and cranks up the decadence for the special occasion,” the QVC host says. “Not to mention, the pink hue is perfect for the holiday!”
Single? Don’t fret. Who needs a partner when you can pair up with a giant dessert all for yourself?
Breakfast in Bed: Strawberry Cream Cheese-Stuffed French Toast
- 12 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 3 Tbsps. seedless strawberry jam
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1-1/4 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 Tbsps. orange juice
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 10 slices challah bread, sliced 3/4'' thick
- butter, for cooking
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced (for sauce)
- 1/3 cup sugar (for sauce)
- 1/2 tsp. orange zest
- To prepare the sauce, combine the strawberries, sugar, orange zest, and juice in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until the strawberries are soft and the syrup is slightly thickened, 10-12 minutes. Set aside and allow the mixture to cool.
- To prepare the French toast, combine the cream cheese, strawberry jam, and vanilla until fully incorporated. Spread the cream cheese mixture on the inner side of all the bread slices. Top five bread slices with 1/4 cup of the sliced strawberries, then put the remaining bread slices on top to create a sandwich.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, orange juice, and sugar. Place the mixture in a shallow dish.
- Melt the butter on a skillet or griddle over medium heat. Dip the sandwiches in the egg mixture and allow the bread to soak for a few seconds on each side. Cook the sandwiches until light golden brown, 3-4 minutes per side. Drizzle the sauce on top of the French toast. Serve warm.