The French are known for their passion for wine, cheese, and macarons, but not necessarily for their burgers.
Well, this delicious recipe may end up changing this perception entirely, for this French-inspired burger is loaded with swiss, parmesan, and gruyere cheese, as well as bechamel. the rich white cream sauce that is a French staple. This recipe also explains how to take this sandwich to the next level by putting the burger in between two mini grilled cheeses. Yes. Please.
Even if you're not rooting for France in the upcoming winter games, give this recipe a try to be inmersed in the rich flavors and culture that is France.
Can you really resist a burger nestled in between two grilled cheese sandwiches? We didn't think so.
Croque Monsieur Burger
- 2 oz. butter
- 1/2 all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 cups Swiss cheese, grated
- 2 cups parmesan, grated
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp. grated nutmeg
- 1 beef patty
- 4 thin slices white pullman bread
- ham, sliced 1/2 inch
- 3 slices gruyere cheese
- Make béchamel sauce by heating up butter in a medium-sized pot until fully melted.
- Add flour.
- Heat butter and flour for 3 minutes over medium heat while constantly stirring.
- Add the milk and heavy cream.
- Let the mixture come up to a boil.
- Whisk in the grated cheese and mix until completely incorporated.
- Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Cook the beef patty to the desired temperature, top with gruyere cheese, and then heat up the ham on the flat top.
- For mini grilled cheeses, place one slice gruyere between two slices of white bread, and toast each side until golden brown and until cheese is melted.
- To build the sandwich, start with one grilled cheese, add burger containing gruyere cheese, ham, and béchamel, and top with a second grilled cheese sandwich.