A Double Lemon Cake Roll isn't your average dessert. This luscious lemony treat takes the idea of "cake" and turns it on its head, and then keeps turning until it forms a cylinder.
Making one of these rolls is easier than it looks, too. Give this recipe from KitchenAid — in time for their appearance at Food Network's South Beach Wine & Food Festival presented by FOOD & WINE— a try and you'll see what we mean.
The festival starts February 21, but if you can't make it down to Miami on such short notice, there's no reason you can't roll up a Double Lemon Cake Roll tonight, or whenever you're in the mood for something sweet. Check out the recipe below!
Double Lemon Cake Roll
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (8 ounces) light cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Beat eggs with electric mixer on high speed, about 3 minutes or until very thick and lemon-colored. Continue beating on high speed, gradually add sugar, about 1 minute more. Stop and scrape bowl.
- Add water, vanilla and lemon extract. Turn to medium speed and beat about 30 seconds. Continuing on medium speed, gradually add flour, baking powder and salt. Beat about 30 seconds, or until batter is smooth.
- Line a long, shallow baking pan (preferably 15 1/2-inches by 10 1/2-inches by 1-inch) with waxed paper, aluminum foil or parchment paper. Grease well. Pour batter into pan, spreading to corners.
- Bake in preheated oven for 11 to 13 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and immediately turn cake onto a towel dusted with powdered sugar. Remove paper or foil.
- Roll cake and towel together, starting on the short side. Once rolled, cool completely on wire rack.
- For the filling, combine the cream cheese, powdered sugar, lemon juice and grated lemon zest in the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat all ingredients on medium speed about 1 1/2 minutes, or until well mixed.
- When cake is completely cool, unroll and remove the towel. Spread with lemon filling, then re-roll and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve immediately.