An oatmeal cake is the perfect solution for someone who wants to have that bowl of oatmeal but is always on the go.
These breakfast cakes are great to freeze; just pop them in the toaster oven or the microwave to warm them up.
Have them with a serving of dairy and some fruit on top.
Easy Oatmeal Cake Recipe
- 1½ cups quick-cooking oats
- ¼ cup (1 ounce) finely chopped nuts/seeds such as Spanish peanuts, regular peanuts, walnuts, almonds, pecans, pistachios, cashews, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup flaxseed meal
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 tablespoons chopped dates (about 5 dates)
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons nonfat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons extra-light olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick liner.
- In a large bowl, stir together the oats, nuts/seeds, flaxseed meal, baking soda, and salt until very well combined. Work in the dates with your hands, separating the clumps and making sure they're evenly distributed.
- Make a well in the center of the oat mixture and add the yogurt, oil, honey, and egg. Beat the wet ingredients together with a fork, then start stirring in the oat mixture to form a wet dough.
- With a ¼-cup measure, scoop out the dough and plop 1 inch apart on the baking sheet (you should get 8 cakes). With wet hands, pat the dough into even cakes about ½ inch high. Bake until lightly golden but still nice and soft, 16 to 18 minutes.
- Let cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store them in the fridge or the freezer