No fruit is better suited for bread recipes than banana. Go ahead and try to think of a better one. Raisins? Nah, raisins barely count as fruit. Oranges? Please, don't be gross. Banana is what we want in our bread, and banana is what we shall have.
That's why we were so thrilled when Elana Amsterdam of Elana's Pantry suggested we try her Paleo Banana Bread recipe made with ripe, flavorful bananas. Plus, this particular treat is guilt-free, because Elana makes all her mouthwatering recipes to the specification of the paleolithic (aka "caveman") diet, excluding grains, dairy and refined sugars from her ingredients.
So if you love banana bread as much as we do, go ahead and bake up a loaf of this protein-packed, gluten-free snack. And don't forget to pre-order Elana's upcoming paleo-friendly cookbook "Paleo Cooking From Elana's Pantry," too.
Paleo Banana Bread Recipe
- 3 bananas (about 1 and 1/2 cups) mashed
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup vegan shortening
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon celtic sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Place bananas, eggs, vanilla, honey and shortening in a food processor, and pulse to combine.
- Add almond flour, sea salt and baking soda, and again pulse until incorporated.
- Scoop batter into a greased loaf pan, ideally 7.5 inches by 3.5 inches, and bake at 350 degrees F for 55–65 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before enjoying.