Fish and "chips" (or fries, to Americans) is a classic UK staple. Even though the dish itself has gained global popularity since its creation, some consider the dish to be a tad bland.
Banish the bland by transforming this simple dish into a magnificent "burger" that includes fried cod topped with lettuce, tomato, and red onions.
Finished with fresh lemon juice for some added zest, this "burger from the sea" is a culinary-crossover sure to win over anyone with you watching the Olympic games.
We could even seen the Duchess wolfing one of these down.
Fish & Chips Burger
- 1 burger bun, toasted
- 1 4 oz. thinly sliced piece of cod, skin off
- 2 oz. tartar sauce
- 2 pieces green leaf lettuce
- 1 tomato slice
- 1 red onion slice
- 1 lemon wedge
- 3 cups flour
- 3 eggs
- 3 Tbsps. baking powder
- 1 light beer
- Make beer batter by mixing eggs with baking powder
- Add flour and then slowly whisk in beer until the mixture is well incorporated, smooth and at the proper consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Season the cod and dredge in beer batter.
- Deep fry in a 350 degree fryer until golden brown and remove to paper towel.
- Place on toasted bun, and top with tartar sauce, lettuce tomato, onion, and top bun.
- Serve with a lemon wedge.