Cholesterol-free french fries? You got 'em. Baking these peppery sweet potatoes at high heat ensures a soft interior and a slightly crisp and caramelized exterior without all the added fat of frying.
Plus, one serving supplies all your daily vitamin A and C, and is only 153 calories!
Healthy Alternative to French Fries: Spicy Sweet Potato Wedges
- 6 medium sweet potatoes (about 2 1/4 pounds)
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 500 F.
- Peel potatoes; cut each lengthwise into quarters.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl; coat with cooking spray.
- Combine sugar, salt and peppers, and sprinkle over potatoes, tossing well to coat.
- Arrange potatoes, cut sides down, in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes; turn wedges over;
- Bake an additional 10 minutes or until tender and beginning to brown.