Did you know September 18 is National Cheeseburger Day? Fortunately, we have the perfect recipe to celebrate.
"Off the menu" dishes are something more and more restaurants are (seemingly) starting to offer, and the Monarch Room in New York City makes a burger you won't find listed on their menu, either.
Why? Because apparently it's too delicious to put into words!
Executive chef Michael Citarella shows us just what makes this burger special enough that you'll only know of its existence by word-of-mouth.
We'll give you a hint: The secret's in the sauce!
Watch the video above and make your own "off-the-menu" cheeseburger tonight!
Making the Monarch Room's Off-the-Menu Burger
- 1 ¾ pounds ground chuck
- 4 hamburger buns
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 slices red onion
- 4-8 leaves Bibb lettuce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 slices aged cheddar
- [FOR BURGER SAUCE]:
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp ketchup
- 2 Tbsp chili oil
- 1 Tbsp scallions, chopped
- 1 Tbsp roasted red peppers, diced
- 1 Tbsp pickled jalepenos, diced
- Divide the ground beef into four equal parts (roughly 7 to 8 oz. each) and gently form into patties. Heat a cast iron pan on high heat for 3-4 minutes. Generously season the burger with salt and place into a hot pan to sear.
- Sear on one side for 3-4 minutes, adjusting the heat if necessary. (Depending on the actual fat content of the meat, it may be necessary to lightly rub the burger with oil or softened butter before searing.) Flip the burger and continue to sear. After 2 minutes, add the sliced cheddar and continue to cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and season with freshly ground pepper. Allow the burger to rest for 2 minutes while you prepare the buns and burger sauce.
- Combine all ingredients for burger sauce in a small bowl, mix, and set aside. Toast buns if desired, then split and spread the sauce on both sides.
- Place a single leaf of Bibb lettuce on the bottom half, place the burger on top of the lettuce followed with a tomato slice, onion, and the top half of the bun. (Tip: Be sure to keep the tomato at room temperature and season the slices lightly with salt.)