Pie Corps, a newly-opened bakery in Brooklyn, N.Y., is known for using unique sweet and savory pie fillings. Among the selections? Moroccan Beef with Chick Pea and Almond, Red Wine Mushroom Pie with Sour Cream and Dill, and Pear Vanilla Bean with Ginger Crumb. Yum!
We had the opportunity to visit the shop and were impressed by the variety of choices on the menu.
If you're in New York, you can order a treat in time for the holidays from their on-line shop.
Or, try whipping one up on your own. Proprietors Cheryl Perry and Filipa Lopez share their Pumpkin Maple Bourbon Pie recipe below.
Pumpkin Maple Bourbon Pie
- 2 cups pumpkin puree* (or one 15 oz can pumpkin)
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon clove
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons whole milk
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped to soft peaks (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (for the crust)
- 1/4 cup sugar (for the crust)
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted (for the crust)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (for the crust)
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well with a whisk to combine. Pour into prepared pan and bake for about 45 to 50 minutes or until a knife inserted neat the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Top with whipped cream before serving.
- * To make pumpkin purée, start with a small-medium sugar pumpkin, cut out the stem and scrape out the insides, discard. Cut the pumpkin in half and lay cut side down on a rimmed baking sheet lined with silpat or aluminum foil. Bake at 375 F until fork tender, about an hour to an hour and a half. Remove from oven, let cool, scoop out the pulp. (Alternatively you can cut the pumpkin into sections and steam in a saucepan with a couple inches of water at the bottom, until soft.) Puree the pulp in a food processor to make it extra smooth.
- Graham cracker crust: Preheat oven to 375 F. Mix all ingredients until well blended. Press firmly onto bottom and up side of 9-inch pie plate. Bake for 8 min. or until lightly browned; cool completely before filling.