Chocolate and wine. In cake form. Sound delicious?
It is, and it's not as sinful as the average diet splurge. The recipe, from Chinmayie Bhat at LoveFoodEat.com, is 100 percent-vegan and refined sugar-free.
"It's not your usual super sweet, rich, buttery cake," Bhat adds.
She recommends serving it with a dollop of strawberry jam or even fresh strawberries in sugar syrup. Like most cakes, she says it's even better the day after — that is if you have any left over!
Red Wine Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¾ cup unrefined cane sugar (or ½ cup white sugar)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (non vegan: melted butter)
- ¼ cup strawberry jam
- 1 cup red wine of your choice (non-alcoholic: unsweetened fruit juice)
- Preheat the oven to 300º F.
- Combine all the dry ingredients together in a bowl. In a separate small bowl combine the red wine, strawberry jam and olive oil together. Pour the wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir to combine well.
- Pour the batter into a round pan which is greased with olive oil and dusted with cocoa flour. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool well on a wire rack before you cut it.