Warning: This recipe may wake you up from your weekend Z's. But when the scent of buttermilk pancakes, blueberry compote and candied hazelnuts takes over your house, you'll know it's a breakfast worth waking up for.
While blueberry compote and candied hazelnuts may seem like complicated extras to make from scratch, the process is quite simple and can be done by any novice chef.
Add these indulgences to your homemade buttermilk pancakes, top with delicious Frangelico syrup and enjoy for a dreamy weekend brunch.
Weekend Recipe: Buttermilk Pancakes With Blueberry Compote and Candied Hazelnuts
- 1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 and 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 5 pints blueberries (for the blueberry compote)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (for the blueberry compote)
- 1 cup hazelnuts (for the candied hazelnuts)
- 1/2 cup sugar (for the candied hazelnuts)
- 1/4 cup Sugar in the Raw (for the candied hazelnuts)
- 3 cups maple syrup (for the hazelnut syrup)
- 2 cups Frangelico Hazelnut Liqueur, reduced by three-quarters (for the hazelnut syrup)
- For the blueberry compote: Combine 1 tablespoon sugar with 4 pints blueberries. Cook over low heat until the compote is thick. Remove from heat and add the remaining blueberries.
- For the candied hazelnuts: Combine hazelnuts and 1/2 cup sugar. Cook on medium heat until all sugar has melted and adheres to the hazelnuts. Remove from heat and pour the nuts on a non-stick, heat-resistant surface. Sprinkle Sugar in the Raw over the candied nuts.
- For a hazelnut syrup: Over low heat, reduce Frangelico by three-quarters. Remove from heat and combine with 3 cups maple syrup.
- For the batter: Mix all remaining ingredients well. Heat a griddle or oiled pan to 350 degrees F. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle in batches, and cook until golden brown on both sides.
- Transfer pancakes to a plate. Top with hazelnut syrup, blueberry compote and candied hazelnuts.