Grilled cheese and pizza are comfort food chart toppers all on their own.
But Karen Troughton from KitchenTreaty.com upped the ante with this White Pizza Grilled Cheese recipe.
The next time you feel like noshing on something warm and cheesy, give these a try and let us know what you think.
White Pizza Grilled Cheese Recipe
- ½ cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano (or ½ teaspoon dried)
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 8 slices white bread (6 slices if your bread is on the larger side)
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled and halved (for rubbing on the outsides of the bread)
- In a small bowl, mix together the ricotta, olive oil, garlic, basil, oregano, salt, and black pepper. Refrigerate for at least an hour (or up to 24 hours) to allow the flavors to develop.
- Lay down the bread slices and, using a butter knife, spread the ricotta mixture evenly on each piece. The ricotta mixture should coat the insides of both pieces of bread. Note: If you’re using large pieces of bread, you may want to make more of the ricotta mixture, or only make two or three sandwiches instead of four).
- Lay the mozzarella slices evenly on every other piece of bread (one side of each sandwich). Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and close the sandwiches by placin both cheesy insides together.
- Rub the outsides of the sandwiches with the cut side of the garlic clove, then butter both sides generously.
- In a large frying pan over medium-low heat, cook the sandwiches, flipping often, until they’re golden-brown on the outside and the cheese is melted inside, about 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately.