As the weather has gotten colder, lipstick shades have been getting darker.
Putting a dramatic spin on the classic red lip adds a bit of edge, but fear not! It's easier to pull off than you think.
READ: Beauty Breakthroughs of 2012
Here's how YOU can rock this bold look.
PREP YOUR POUT
- Everything starts with a good base. There's nothing worse than someone wearing dark lipstick on dry flaky lips, so you will need a light exfoliation treatment for your pucker. Try Fresh Sugar Lip Polish.
- Next you will need to use a lip primer to create a smooth canvas and prolong the wear of your lipstick. Try e.l.f. Studio Lip Primer & Plumper
- Dark lipstick tends to migrate and bleed. To avoid this makeup disaster, use a lip liner that matches your lipstick. Outlining and filling your lips will help keep your color stay put. Try Jordana Easyliner For Lips or Sephora Collection Nano Lip Liner.
WATCH YOUR TONE
Not all dark lipsticks are created equal. Each shade has an undertone that will look different depending on your complexion. Using the wrong shade for your skin tone could wash you out.
Still have doubts on what color would look best on you? No harm in asking. Stop by a makeup counter where an expert can help you select a shade will suit you best.
FEELING A BIT INTIMIDATED?
More Tips and Tricks
- Applying straight from the tube will give you a stronger color. Use a lip brush if you don’t want to go as deep.
- Make lips the main attraction. Skip dark eye-shadows or strong blushes.
- Balance out statement lips with loads of mascara. If you're daring, rock some false eyelashes!
- Check your teeth. Worried about lipstick on your teeth? Pucker your lips around your index finger and pull it out — any lipstick that would have migrated on to your pearly whites is now gone.
- Don't let the dramatic effect fade. Refresh after meals and drinks.